Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Ladder of Good

I recently began Socrates Cafe by Christopher Phillips, and it has awoken my usual dormant quizzical nature. And for some reason, I have been mulling over the concept of Goodness. What is Goodness? Is there an universal Goodness, as in Good versus Evil, or is it merely a social conception that is constantly redetermined? Perhaps this line of questioning was brought on by a recent event in my life...

I remade my acquaintance with a side of me that I had suppressed, mainly because it was a nuisance and an obstacle. It was the nice guy, the good guy, side of my personality. The essential question that has been...not necessarily plaguing or bothering me...just rattling around pretty incessantly...anyway, the question is this: For Good, who's good is more important? Mine or someone else's? In the past, I have generally told my friends that another's good, as compared to my own, should be considered paramount. The issue this philosophy of course entails is not actually getting what you want, which for some (most/all) people poses a great problem. Including myself. What good (pun intended) does it do me to not allow for my own desires to take any kind of precedence?

I personally believe Goodness is subjective, and after examining this case, I believe the Good does not lie in my favor. This of course prompted the question. Good, Right...these ideas are fickle, constantly changing depending on the situation.

No comments: