Monday, September 1, 2008

Sevilla: Eyes of a Wanderer

So yesterday I was feeling kinda restless and decided to do a bit of exploring after siesta (which I'm still in love with). So I left my apartment building and just went. I followed the street next to my building for a while, found some karate places and someplace with a big sign advertising "Ingles" (English) and some very quaint looking shops. I followed that road to the first serious intersection, and for a change of pace, hooked a left. Much to my great wonder and amusement, I was on the road with the futbol stadium! I walked right up to it, took a picture, and walked around with a grin on my face for a bit. It's not as big as some of our football stadiums (at least it didn't look it from the outside) but it was still fairly grand. Chris and I can't wait to attend more than our fair share of Sevilla FC games. We're excited. So anyway, that neighborhood is called Nervion (most of the Spanish words I'm using have accents, but I can't put accents in on my laptop, so just imagine them k? Thanks.) and I wandered around there for about an hour. Aside from the futbol stadium, I also discovered the movie theater. It has 20 screens and covers several floors. To add to the diversion, there's a gigantic staircase to get up to the ticket booth. Maybe they just try and make everyone sleep through the movies so they won't eat or drink anything and get the theater dirty. At the bottom of the steps was a very chic urban clothing shop where half the mannequins were only partially dressed and sporting Minnie Mouse panties or bras and such. But that's Europe, they're not all a bunch of prudes. Which makes most of us Americans uncomfortable, to say the least. Notice I said most of us. I'm immune since I got it at an early age. Nudity and skinny dipping to advertise butter? Not a problem in Germany, regardless of what age eyes are watching. But moving on, I decided to lose myself in some back alleys and such, and very nearly did get lost. Also, while waiting to cross a street, I saw a guy drive by wearing the exact same shirt as me. I couldn't help but laugh. Alas, I ended up coming out on a road I recognized, Avenida de San Francisco. I wasn't ready to go back yet, but my feet were a little sore, so I decided to grab a Sevici bici from a nearby kiosk. By the way, those things are the greatest thing ever! With kiosks all over the city, the only thing you have to worry about is making sure the bici you take off the stand isn't defective in some way (Friday night I pulled out one with the rear tire completely off it's rim and then another with the chain falling off the gears). So I rode in the opposite direction for a while, around where Chris and I did some exploring Friday afternoon. I took my time, just kinda riding in a big loop, and saw some stores, a supermarket or two, so on and so forth. Rather a nice ride, if a little sweaty. Jeans apparently weren't the best idea yesterday. Again, made a big loop and came out at the end of my street, Avenida Ramon y Cajal, and decided to walk the rest of the way. Found some nice little cervezerias that I look forward to visiting. I look forward to exploring more of the city, alone or with my friends. It's a gorgeous city and I recommend it to all travelers. Come visit!

1 comment:

kat said...

Hi Hap
Still figuring out this blogging...but had great
fun traveling in your world!
Sounds like you're having
a BLAST!!

Take GOOD care...and remember
how much we love you!

Kathy